Advancing Best Practice in Health Coaching and Care Management
Health Coaching in the clinical setting is commonly paired with smart care management strategies. They go hand in hand. Coaching skills help uncover patient motivations and challenges, bringing patient goals and perspectives to the plan of care. However, integrating health coaching with care management is often inconsistent — not fully understood by the entire care team. Communicating patient preferences, goals and barriers is foundational to co-creating a care plan that actively engages patients and inspires full care team support. More than ever, the communications skills AND role of the health coach/care manager influence the effectiveness of chronic care, and patient health outcomes.
Advancing Best Practice in Health Coaching and Care Management is the newest training being offered by The Iowa Chronic Care Consortium (ICCC), founder of Clinical Health Coach training. This “next-level” course targets those who have completed either Clinical Health Coach Fusion or v-Fusion. It expands upon the foundational skills of motivational interviewing and provides a roadmap to creating a sustainable care management model. It builds performance capacity. ICCC is pleased to be partnering with HealthTeamWorks, a national leader in care management training, organizational development and performance improvement.
Spring Training Dates March 31, 2022 through May 12, 2022
- Weekly virtual classes: Tuesdays from 2:30-4:00 p.m. CST
- Small group practice sessions: Each registrant will participate in two (2) 60-minute sessions and one (1) 90-minute session scheduled throughout the 7 weeks. Days/times TBD.
Advancing Best Practice in Health Coaching and Care Management is a 7-week course, with weekly 90-minute virtual classes and intimate small group health coaching skills practice sessions. Virtual classes will include a mix of didactic and practice activities. All sessions are facilitated by experienced training faculty from ICCC or HealthTeamWorks.
* Participants must have completed Clinical Health Coach Fusion, v-Fusion or a certificate-based training in motivational interviewing prior to enrolling in this next-level training.
- Develop enhanced motivational interviewing (MI) core skills
- Deepen understanding of the “MI Spirit” which includes
- Building empathy for patients ‘experiences
- Reviewing the complexities of behavior change, including the role that SDoH plays
- Explore how core skills are effectively applied during Engaging, Focusing, Evoking, and Planning
- Discuss patient engagement versus activation and the implications for health coaching
- Practice MI and coaching skills in small virtual groups of 3-5 and facilitated by experienced trainers in motivational interviewing
- Increase competence for strengthening patient motivation
- Explore coding as a tool for MI professional development
- Develop strategies for improving teaming for effective patient care
- Define elements of a truly patient-centered care plan
- Discuss the design and use of a bi-directional collaborative care plan
- Develop cross-team communication tools and workflows
- Identify ways to recognize social determinants of health and root causes that may be impacting patient activation
- Discuss health inequities and the importance of building trust
- Recognize (un)conscious and systemic bias
- Discuss the impact of implicit bias to trust and health
- Identify tactics and next steps to advance equity
Interstate Postgraduate Medical Association (IPMA) designates this enduring activity for a maximum of 14.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
IPMA is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 6971, for 14.0 contact hours. RNs outside of California must verify with their licensing agency for approval of this course.
Registration fees (per participant) …. $650
Multiple person discount …. $595
*Three or more persons registering together and from the same organization.
Registration fees include links/access to the virtual classes and small group practice sessions, handouts and training materials and CME/CEUs.
- Large group sessions: Seven (7) 90-minute sessions held weekly
- Small group sessions: Each registrant will participate in two (2) 60-minute and (1) 90-minute small group health coaching practice sessions
Participants must attend 80% of all sessions live in order to receive a certificate of completion
*ICCC reserves the right to reschedule the training based upon enrollment levels