IRHA Executive Leadership Workshop on Clinical Health Coaching
The Indiana Rural Health Association, through support provided by the Health Services Resource Administration (HRSA) for a Network Development Grant, has collaborated with the Iowa Chronic Care Consortium to provide this IRHA Executive Leadership Workshop on health coaching in the clinical setting.
The Workshop was developed for physicians, administrators and others in leadership positions in IRHA’s partner and member organizations. It will focus upon the value of achieving true patient-centered care, strategies for tapping the patients as the great underutilized resource in healthcare, and best practice utilization of health coaching in the clinical setting to deliver population health.
The Workshop program is provided in three videos which can be accessed below. Each can be accessed individually. The topics and presenters will be:
Video 1: Healthcare 3.0 – Improving the Health of a Population, One Patient at a Time — William Appelgate, PhD, CPC; Executive Director of the Iowa Chronic Care Consortium; founder of the Clinical Health Coach® training (40 minutes)
Video 2: Utilizing Health Coaching to Improve Quality of Care, Patient Experience and Improve Clinic Revenue — Steve Eckstat, DO; Co-founder of Mercy Clinics; former Director of Mercy Clinics (25 minutes)
Video 3: Demonstrations of Teaching versus Coaching plus a Complete 15 Minute Coaching Conversation – Denise Ernst, PhD, MINT (25 minutes)
Upon completion of the Workshop, participants should be able to:
1. Identify the opportunity for effective health coaching in the clinical setting
2. Define why health coaching enables healthcare professionals to tap the greatest underutilized resource in healthcare—the patient
3. List four essential elements of practical population health
4. Identify practices for utilizing health coaching skills to drive quality and revenue
5. Describe key leadership characteristics of physician champions in supporting team-based care
6. Discern the distinct differences between teaching and coaching
Video 1: IRHA Executive Leadership Workshop on Clinical Health Coaching
Video 2: IRHA Executive Leadership Workshop on Clinical Health Coaching